If after you listen to this you think, “WTF was that about?”, then I did my job.
Welcome to Kirk Discusses Game Design, where I (Kirk) will be sharing thoughts about, you guessed it, game design! These articles will be primarily focused on The Lonely Dwarves, some going into low level details of how systems work, and others about higher level big picture considerations.
I won’t shy away from describing what didn’t go as I had initially planned (post-mortem style), so hopefully there will be some take aways for you, the reader.
First up will be Damage Calculations. We will go into:
* Gnome Mayor double reward
* Battle Events did not record damage/healing/kills/cheevos or give XP/Gold rewards. All Fixed
* Ostentatious Robe art was missing due to a typo
* Bad error message when buying something for someone with a full inventory.
* New Background image for Geomancer Spells
* Support for arbitrary background image by spell.
* Mythril Mail Coif grants a HP bonus
* Fixed Bestiary crash introduced in the previous version
Release Candidate, please test and report bugs.
* All Tilesets have been replaced or updated.
* During battle, Swamp now has swamp grass.
* New battle backgrounds for Dungeon, Cave, Cavern.
* New description for Weakness spell
* Moatburdered graphic set updated.
* Gnome village graphic set updated.
* Renamed “stalagtite” to “stalactite” throughout the app (user facing and internal).
* Fixed another typo.
* Replaced ugly hand drawn Swamp background with ugly procedurally generated one.
* Added Ice Storm animation against the player.
* Monster graphic tweaks.
* Procedurally generated battle backgrounds are displayed in the victory screen, rather than the old backgrounds.
* Dimmed the victory screen overlay (this will probably be tweaked more.
* New lightning blast icon.
* Bridge tiles were misaligned.
* Stalagtite Animation added.
* Trash Can and Treasure Chest images replaced in the menus.
* Assorted image updates.